Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The new normal...

As I sit and ponder my time in Korea, I am beginning to realize that there are things I now consider normal that surprised me when I first arrived. So to document a few for the years to come...

1. The fact that I now think nothing of walking down the middle of the street. Cars, bikes, pedestrians...we all share the same space. If a person on a motorcycle wants to drive on the sidewalk- ok.....if cars want to park on the sidewalk- fine....If bicycles want to wiz past...I understand. And through it all, I have yet to see someone get hit.

2. When it comes to driving, I am impressed by the Koreans' spacial knowledge. They seem to be able to squeeze their cars into any available space. The only "oops" I have witnessed was when one taxi driver tore the side mirror off another car while on the road. Now he, wasn't a very good judge of distance...

3. I now take it for granted how frequent and socially acceptable it is to wear face masks in public. Face masks as in the ones surgeons where before they perform an operation. Because they are so popular, they come in all kinds of colors and fashions- there are even animal ones for the kids...

4. The two-hand wave. I find myself automatically reverting to the two-handed "thank-you and good-bye" wave when I am leaving a place or a group. To do the two-handed wave, keep your arms at 90 degree angles and shake both hands at the same time. Do this while bowing and saying your good-byes.

No comments:

Post a Comment